Help Paying Utilities




Save money on utilities from weatherization in Virginia.

The weatherization program in Virginia provides funds to help families save money on their heating and cooling bills. The United States Department of Energy pays for the program and distributes grants to the state of Virginia, which then provides services to low-income households, particularly for families with children, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities. The Virginia Department of Social Services’ Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) also contributes money towards weatherization. Another benefit of is that it will ensure the health and safety of Virginia families.

While the federal government provides money directly to the state government, assistance is available throughout the entire state of Virginia from local non-profits such as nonprofit housing organizations and community action agencies.

What these non-profits do is they install and pay for the installation of energy-saving measures and conservation measures such as the repair of leaky duct systems, the sealing of air-leaks with insulation, caulking, and weather-stripping, and even the replacement or repair of heating systems and air conditioning units.

Most applicants in Virginia will qualify for weatherization based on their income. Participants can save hundreds of dollars per year on their utility bills, and the program is free if you meet qualifications. Funding is limited, and usually families with children and seniors will be accepted into the program. There can be some exceptions made to income levels, and oftentimes people who receive cash from Social Security Act will qualify.






In order to apply for potential savings on your energy bills and information on weatherization, call your local community action agency. A listing of locations is below. The non-profit can provide you with an application.

Community Housing Partners/NCERT
448 Depot Street
Christiansburg, Virginia 24073
Phone number (540) 381-9446 x305
This agency provides weatherization in the counties of Arlington, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Floyd, Frederick, Giles, Loudoun, Madison, Montgomery, Orange, Page, Prince William, Pulaski, Rappahannock, Shenandoah and Warren. In addition, the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, Manassas Park, Radford, and Winchester Virginia are covered.

Williamsburg-James City Co. Community Action Agency is located at 312 Waller Mill Road in Williamsburg, VA 23185. Families in the counties of James City and York and Cities of
Newport News, Poquoson and Williamsburg can apply here. Call (757) 229-9389

Southeastern Tidewater Opportunity Project is for people in Isle of Wight and Southampton, Cities of Chesapeake, Franklin, Hampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach. Call (757) 858-1397. Office is at 2551 Almeda Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23513

Support to Eliminate Poverty is at 200 Dent Street, Rocky Mount, VA 24151. Weatherization is for Franklin and Patrick county. Telephone (540) 483-5142 ext 3002.

Total Action Against Poverty is located at 145 Campbell Avenue, 7th Floor, Roanoke, VA 24001-2868. Parts of Virginia covered are Alleghany, Bath, Botetourt, Craig, Roanoke and Rockbridge; Cities of Buena
Vista, Clifton Forge, Covington, Lexington, Roanoke and Salem. Call (540) 345-6781, ext. 4358

Telamon Corporation, Inc. - If you live in the Virginia counties of Brunswick and Mecklenburg, dial (434) 447-2744 or stop by 4913 Fitzhugh Avenue, Suite 202, Richmond, Virginia 23230.

PEOPLE, Inc. Stop by 1173 West Main Street, Abingdon, VA 24210. Counties of Buchanan and Washington and the City of Bristol are supported. Call (276) 623-9000

Pittsylvania County Community Action. Call (434) 432-9380. Residents of the counties of Pittsylvania and Henry; Cities of Danville and Martinsville can call this community action agency for information.

Appalachian Community Action & Development Agency, Inc. is at 109 Beech Street, Suite 103, Gate City, VA 24251. People in the counties of Dickenson, Lee, Scott and Wise as well as the city of Norton can call for savings on utility bills. Phone (276) 431-3535

Rappahannock Area Agency on Aging. If you live in Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford; City of Fredericksburg, dial (540) 371-3375 or stop by 171 Warrenton Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22405.

Rooftop of Virginia CAP is based in Galax, VA 24333. Call (276) 236-7131. Supports counties of Carroll and Grayson; City of Galax.

Community Energy Conservation Program offers weatherization for residents of Albemarle, Augusta, Fluvanna, Greene, Highland, Louisa, Nelson and Rockingham Counties. The cities and towns of Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Staunton, and Waynesboro are also supported. Call (877) 816-0218.

Crater District Area Agency on Aging. Address is 23 Seyler Drive, Petersburg, VA 23805. Counties of Dinwiddie, Greensville, Prince George, Surry and Sussex. Also the cities of Colonial Heights, Emporia, Hopewell, and Petersburg are covered. Dial (804) 732-7020.

Eastern Shore Area Agency on Aging. Dial (757) 442-9652 ext 16 for information or an application. People who live in Accomack and Northampton can apply for weatherization here.

Tri-County Community Action Agency is for the low income in Halifax and Charlotte and the City of
South Boston. Address is 1176 Huell Mathews Hwy. South Boston, VA 24592. Telephone (804) 575-7916

Lynchburg Community Action Group is based at 926 Commerce Street, Lynchburg, VA 23504. Counties of Campbell and the cities of Bedford and Lynchburg are supported. Call (434) 846-2778

Mountain Community Action Program is located in Marion, Virginia 24354. Services the counties of Bland, Smyth and Wythe. Call (276) 783-7337.

Bay Aging, Inc. provides weatherization in Essex, Gloucester, King and Queen, King William, Lancaster, Mathews, Middlesex, as well as Northumb.

ElderHomes Corporation is located at 88 Carnation Street, Richmond, VA 23225. Residents of the counties of Charles City, Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, New Kent and Powhatan and the City of Richmond can apply. Telephone (804) 233-2827.

H.O.P.E., Inc - Weatherization is offered in the Virginia counties of Amelia, Buckingham, Cumberland, Lunenburg, Nottoway, and Prince Edward. 221 2nd Street, Farmville, VA 23901. Call (434) 315-8990

Central Virginia Area Agency on Aging is for the counties of Amherst, Appomattox and Bedford. Address is 501 12th Street, Lynchburg, Virginia 24504. Dial (434) 385-9070

Clinch Valley Community Action is for Russell and Tazewell county. Call (276) 988-5583, or stop by the office at North Tazewell, Virginia 24630.



Custom Search