Help Paying Utilities




Help paying utilities from Green Mountain Power

There are three primary programs that Green Mountain Power customers in Vermont can turn to. They include fuel assistance, Warmth, and Weatherization.

Green Mountain and state of Vermont Warmth Program - This is a program to help people during the winter pay their heating bills and make it through a crisis situation. The service is known as the WARMTH Support Program. The program is run in partnership with local community action agencies, but Green Mountain Power is the company that administrates it. In addition to receiving grants and cash to help pay heating and utility bills, the agencies also offer low income customers counseling and referral services to other federal and state government programs and resources. Funds from the Vermont WARMTH program are only available for emergency situations or someone facing a short term hardship. They are used when a household has exhausted its supply of fuel, has used all other assistance programs including government aid, or faces disconnection of utility services. Grants from Warmth are made available to Green Mountain Power only when an individual or family has not been able to find sufficient help through other channels or utility bill programs. Your local Community Action makes a payment directly to your utility company or fuel dealer, often as a part of a repayment agreement between you and your energy provider. That individual is then responsible for the remainder of the payments and paying the bill going forward.

Fuel Assistance - This general financial assistance program will help Green Mountain customers pay their winter heating bills. It is best to apply during the summer or early fall for the upcoming season. Apply early will increase your changes of receiving help, and increase the amount of money you may receive. Apply for help at your local Area Agency on Aging, a community action agency (phone numbers below) or at the local office of the Department of PATH (Prevention, Assistance, Transition and Health Access).

Free weatherization assistance - Save money on your utility bills. Well trained and qualified technicians will come to your home, for free, and among other things inspect the heating system, make any necessary repairs and tune it up, insulate your home, and seal air leaks. These are just an example of the free home energy improvements that could result from the weatherization program for Vermont families. Call your local community action agency at the numbers below.

  • NETO - 802-748-8935 (Caldonia, Essex, Orleans)
  • CVOEO - 800-287-7971 (Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, Grand Isle counties)
  • CVCAC - 800-639-1053 (Lamoille, Orange, Washington)
  • BEN-Rut - 802-775-0878 (Bennington, Rutland)
  • SEVCA - 800-464-9951 (Windham, Windsor)



Custom Search