Help Paying Utilities




Indiana LIHEAP

The state of Indiana offers residents the federal government funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This program is one of the most important benefits offered by the so called federal social safety net. The energy assistance program provides cash grants and other forms of financial assistance for paying home heating and utility bills, cooling bills, funds to help deal with an energy crisis, and it will even provide homeowners and renters with free weatherization and energy saving improvements to their homes. The aid is targeted towards low and moderate income people, people with disabilities, elderly, and families with your children.

Overall, the primary goal of the Energy Assistance Program is to provide assistance to households to help them maintain their heating and utility utility services during the cold winter heating months. Your local Community Action Agencies administer and distributes the funds with outreach offices that are located in every county. These community action agencies provide application processing, utility vendor payments, and counseling.

The Indiana LIHEAP program will prevent struggling families and people living in poverty and other low-income elderly from needing to choose between buying fuel to heat or cool their homes and paying for medical bills or buying food for themselves.

If you are struggling with your energy bills, and if are interested in learning more or applying, please be sure contact the Community Development Representative in your town or county area. They can answer questions, guide you through the process, and can provide you with details to learn about the appropriate funds available from the Energy Assistance Program. They will walk you through the technical aspects and process of  submitting the application. There are conditions to the program, and a site visit will be completed to assess the ability to meet the requirements.

You can dial 1-800-622-4973 to find your local community action agency and to apply for aid.



Custom Search